You might have seen permeable pavements in your neighborhood and are wondering why people prefer them over any other pavement structure. Well, there is a reason for that and in this blog, we will let you know about the benefits of getting permeable paver stone walkways.
Permeable pavements are composed of concrete, asphalt, or open-pore pavers. These pavements are also considered green pavements and the main reason is that they allow the water to run through rather than accumulating it.
You will most likely see these permeable pavements on the sidewalks and driveways of parking lots and low-traffic areas. These durable pavements are suitable options for you under different environmental conditions, including hot climates and high-speed traffic areas.
Common Types of Permeable Pavements
The common types of permeable pavements include:
Porous Bricks: Permeable pavements made from porous bricks allow air and water to pass through the porous grain structure of the bricks. Porous bricks can be used for roads, footpaths, and cycle paths.
Open-Joint Bricks: Open-joint bricks are laid on the pavement in such a way that there is a gap between the bricks. To fill this open space, you can use soil, grass, shells, or gravel.
Concrete Pavers: These pavements have spaces between the concrete blocks, which allow the water to drain in a better way. It comes in a wide variety of textures, colors, ranges of depths, and shapes. Installation of concrete pavers is easy and their lifespan is expected to be over 20 years.
Natural Stone: Natural stone pavements add a significant amount of value to the property. Maintenance of these pavements is easy as they require simple cleaning. Moreover, these pavements are highly durable and their color doesn't fade away.
Benefits of Permeable Pavements
Some amazing benefits of laying down permeable pavements include:
- Permeable pavements don’t get hot and their maximum temperature is lower than that of traditional pavements.
- You can develop permeable pavements using recycled material. Moreover, there are new techniques that allow manufacturers to use byproducts such as slag cement, which can help reduce landfill space.
- In permeable pavements, as the rainwater seeps through the pavement, no ice forms on the surface.
- These pavements stay cool in summer due to the circulation of water and precipitation.
- Permeable pavements are efficient as they help prevent soil erosion.
- The cost of installing the curbs, gutters, retention basins, and water collection installation on permeable pavements is affordable.
- If you have a hard concrete sidewalk or driveway, you will need an expensive drainage system, which is not a requirement for permeable pavements.
Permeable pavements are efficient in many ways and installing them can be not only affordable but also environmentally friendly. You can consider installing permeable pavements after selecting the material from a variety of options.
If you are considering the installation of permeable pavement, put your trust in Eden Sidewalk Contractors NYC. We have been providing excellent repair, replacement, and installation of permeable pavements for over two decades. If you need to hire us for our remarkable expertise, you can Contact us today.