Skip to main content
Eden Sidewalk Contractors Logo
Call Us:

What to do when you receive a DOT sidewalk violation in NYC

In New York City, unless the damage is caused by tree roots or utilities, homeowners are responsible for repairs to their sidewalk. If there is a complaint about your sidewalk, or if damages are noticed during a routine inspection by the city, you may receive a notice of violation from the city.

Sidewalk violations are official notices issued by the DOT stating that your sidewalk is in need of repairs. The County Clerk also receives notice of this and the violation remains on file until they receive confirmation that the repairs have been made. If the sidewalk is not repaired within 45 days of receiving the notification, the DOT will perform the work and send you a bill that will be more expensive than if you handled the repair on your own.

If you’ve received a sidewalk violation, call Eden Sidewalk Contractors at 718-673-5555 so we can help you get the process started quickly.

How to proceed when you get a sidewalk violation:

Find Your Contractor

A professional sidewalk contractor in New York City will be able to take care of every aspect of this job. Before you hire a contractor, make sure that they are trustworthy, licensed, and experienced.

One red flag that you should look out for is a contractor asking you for homeowner’s insurance. Any reputable sidewalk contractor should have their own insurance so that you’re not liable for damages or accidents during the repair. In fact, it’s always a good idea to ask for a copy of the contractor’s insurance.


Next, your contractor should call 311 to obtain the proper permits to complete the job. Our sidewalk contractors have extensive knowledge of how permitting in New York City works, and we’ll be able to get the permits quickly so that the work can begin as soon as possible.

Remember, you only have 45 days to obtain the permits, and after the permits have been acquired, they’re valid for only 30 days, so our professionals will begin working immediately to complete the repairs, and notify the city of completion.

Other Complications to Consider

Tree Roots

If tree roots have damaged your sidewalk, the Department of Parks and Recreation may repair the damage at no cost to you.

Missing or Defective Curbs

If there are missing or defective curbs, the DOT may repair them at no cost to you.

Contesting Violations

If you believe that you deserve a re-inspection or havereceived the sidewalk violation in error, you may choose to contest the violation. Visit 311 Online and request a sidewalk violation re-inspection, or a sidewalk violation search.


Our Sidewalk Repair Process


1. If you noticed the problem yourself or received a repair notice from the city contact us!


2. We dispatch our team of experts quickly and promptly to assess the situation and start the repairs.


3. We handle the repair up to all current codes, protecting you from unnecessary fines and headaches!

Contact Eden Sidewalk Contractors

If you’ve received a sidewalk violation in New York, call Eden Sidewalk Contractors at 718-673-5555 or complete our online request form.