Local property owners are well aware of the importance of sidewalk repair and maintenance. Not only does this city see more foot traffic on paved walkways than other areas around the country, but they also have higher upkeep requirements.
It makes sense since areas that have more vehicular traffic have incredible demands for roadway maintenance. The difference is that, with sidewalks, residential and commercial business owners bear the brunt of the responsibility and expense when it comes to maintaining pathways for pedestrians.
Sidewalk repair is part of property ownership here, a way of life. Get familiar with the most common repairs you are likely to run into, and you’ll be less likely to end up surprised by the upkeep needs you face.
Staying Diligent With Sidewalk Upkeep
It’s no wonder NYC DOT has high standards for sidewalk repairs. Failure to comply will result in injuries, and injury occurrences lead to lawsuits.
Dealing with a sidewalk violation from DOT isn’t the best way to start your new year, so be on the lookout for these possible looming repairs:
- Hardware Trip Hazard: In this situation, necessary hardware is exposed and protruding from the pavement, causing a potential trip hazard.
- Tree Roots: Nothing beautifies the city like trees but, left unpruned, their root growth can wreak havoc for existing sidewalk infrastructures.
- Collapsed Sidewalk: Either a minor or major section of the concrete has collapsed, causing a pitfall or a larger sinkhole. No matter the size of the collapsed section, it’s a safety threat and violation.
- Improper Slope: When the flat walkway slants to either side, it makes walking conditions treacherous. Plus, when near a building, can send rain waters in the direction of the foundation and compromise the structural integrity.
- Raised/Dropped Trip Hazard: A raised or lowered section of the sidewalk is commonly found following a joint, seam, or crack. The earth pushes the pavement up or drops and lowers the section. Either way, this variance in height isn’t easily visible and is a trip hazard.
Getting Expert Assistance
The trick to moving past sidewalk issues and DOT violations is to get them mended properly. Savvy locals contact Eden Sidewalk Contractors because we’re local leaders in sidewalk maintenance. We don’t just know how to repair sidewalks; we’re a local company that’s well-versed with current and changing violation regulations. When it comes to a Brooklyn sidewalk company, call us for unsurpassed service from a local expert who understands the industry.