Property managers have many responsibilities on their shoulders and one of the responsibilities is property maintenance. Property maintenance appears to be an easy task but when it comes to doing the job to its fullest, they have to consider many things while executing maintenance jobs.
The job is hard because there is variety in property maintenance. the property maintenance varies from routine maintenance to corrective maintenance and each has its own benefit. The property manager has to analyze and then choose the right type of maintenance. The contractors are hired depending on the kind of work that is required.
Choosing a Contractor
When you are looking to hire sidewalk contractors in Manhattan make sure to:
- Know exactly what you want to be get done. In case you change the plan in the middle of the project, you would have to pay extra for it.
- Set a clear budget right from the beginning.
- Ask around friends and family if they have had an experience with any sidewalk contractor.
- Know that workplace safety and insurance are a must for workers as well and independent operators in the construction industry. There are a few exceptions and to know more about the exceptions, get in touch with the workplace safety and insurance board(WSIB) beforehand.
- Hire with a local company because it makes the follow-up process much much easier and hassle-free.
- Get the required information from as many contractors as you can and then get the estimates from at least three contractors. Make sure to write down the estimates so that it is clear.
- Always agree with an estimate when the contractor has visited the site and completely knows about the required work. Also do not agree to anything over a phone call.
- Make your contractor understand the work so they know the plan and have the skill to do the job. If your contractor is not asking the right questions, then you should explain properly or change the contractor.
- Go for a reasonable deal and not something unbelievable that is too good to be true.
It is better to hire an engineer or an architect if it is a major project. By doing so, you would have a clear plan and direction for your project. You might also need a building permit for the task however to know the cost of the permit and how to get it, you need to get in touch with the City administration or the town hall.
Few home renovation scams
The Door-to-Door Game - In this scam, a salesperson goes to the door in a neighborhood and offers the residents a good deal because somehow they just happen to be in the area with all their equipment and material. They give you no thinking time and the contract has to be signed there and then to get the special rate.
Another scenario of the same scam is that a salesperson may offer to inspect your chimney, roof, and furnace without any charges. After the inspection, you are informed that you may need an extensive repair that too right away otherwise it can be dangerous. The same guy then presents you with a contract and offers to do your work
The Disappearing Contractor - Do not pay the contractor any money for materials. The contractor might end up getting the money from you and then leave the work mid-way or won’t even start working. Keep the down payment to a minimum level(5-10%) and never pay the full amount unless all the work is done. Authentic contracting firms have enough money to buy the material and start working.
The Paper-Free Deal - If a contractor has all the paperwork so that means that the contractor is reputable and can be trusted. The paperwork includes estimates, contracts, professional licenses, building permits, and any other essential document. Your contractor is your best protection during the sidewalk repairing project. It is also recommended to not make cash deals so that you a payment proof in case anything goes wrong during the project.
Not having the right paperwork – estimates, contracts, professional licenses, building permits – is a warning sign that a contractor is not reputable. A contract is your best protection as a consumer. It’s also a good idea to avoid cash deals. Although they can be appealing, if anything goes wrong with your project, you won’t have proof of payment without a receipt.
Remember, reputable companies comply with the law. A professional license shows that a contractor is qualified to do the work you’re hiring him or her to do – like plumbing or electrical. Building permits allow your municipality to make sure that any work you have planned meets the Building Code standards and by-laws.
Sidewalk paving is conventionally done with concrete work. We are the leaders in the repairing of sidewalk contractors in Manhattan and having the expertise to handle all sidewalk repair and installation work efficiently. We are dedicated to carrying out quality work for every project we take on. Over the last 25 years, we have earned a great reputation and numerous referrals from our thousands of satisfied clients for whom we have built a new concrete sidewalk in New York.